Re: Dired command on same host

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Dired command on same host
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 18:08:44 +0700

On Wed, 5 Jan 2022 at 17:41, Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:

> And even this isn't bullet-proof. Due to network configuration, hostB
> could resolve to different addresses on my local machine and on hostA,
> although it is still the same machine.

Additionally, the reverse is also possible: 192.168.0.1 when accessed
from local machine and 192.168.0.1 when accessed from hostA could be
two completely different hostsB.

A somewhat reliable way to detect if two jump paths resolve to the
same host would be:

1. Through one path, perform some (small) file system modification.
Like, create a uniquely named file at a known location, and write some
unique content.
2. Through the other path, observe that modification. If successful,
assume identity.

(Various TLS certificate issuers do this to check that the user who
requests a certificate for a domain name actually controls the host
that the domain name resolves to.)