RE: [External] : Get boundaries of the string at point matching a regula

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Get boundaries of the string at point matching a regular expression
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 20:15:47 +0000

> I know that org-in-regexp can be used to check that the point is inside
> a given regular expression (see minimal working example below). However,
> this has the huge dependency of Org Mode.
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC elisp
> (with-temp-buffer
>   (insert "fooooooooo bar")
>   (goto-char 1)
>   (org-in-regexp "fo+"))
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+RESULTS:
> #+begin_example
> (1 . 11)
> #+end_example
>
> I'm now wondering whether there's a function bundled with Emacs that
> doesn't depend in Org Mode that would do the same of org-in-regexp. I
> was thinking in copying the definition of org-in-regexp, but I would
> like to first ask for other approaches.

Wait for other answers, but my answer is this:

1. I don't think there's any other predefined function
   that gives you this.

2. Looking at the definition, `org-in-regexp' is not
   about point being inside or at or on a regexp.  It's
   about point being in a line where some text in the
   line matches a given regexp.

3. It looks to me like the def of `org-in-regexp' is
   as succinct as it gets for that.

4. Based on #3, I'd say just copy that defun.  You can
   rename your copy, if you like.