Re: non word abbrevs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: non word abbrevs
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 18:29:00 -0500

> Thank you. I am really just interested in having "proper" text expansions
> like what I have on the OS side. I fail to see the logic of limiting abbrevs
> to "word characters".

Maybe part of the motivation was the performance cost of checking
abbrevs after every key stroke, but I suspect the main issue is avoiding
"false positives":

Say you hit in sequence the three keys `< = >` and you have abbrev rules
for `<=` and for `<=>`, you'd probably not want the first abbrev rule to
apply after you hit `< =` because you'd prefer for Emacs to wait a bit
more and apply the second abbrev rule.

For words, this notion of boundary is fairly standard.  But for other
chars, it's not so clear.
So to lift this restriction we need something more.

        Stefan