Passwords -- Re: Noob dumb question (extending emacs)

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Passwords -- Re: Noob dumb question (extending emacs)
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 22:09:13 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-10-28 05:37]:

> >> But you cannot write a pwgen either - or at least, you
> >> haven't yet ... so what's the difference?
> >
> > Emacs image viewer is not `sxiv' or "Eye of Gnome" but still
> > fulfils the purpose to view images.
>
> Try feh for a more configurable viewer.

I found `sxiv' much handier, after long term usage of `feh'.

> Note that you can run sxiv from Emacs with the 'sxiv' MELPA
> package, at least I think that's what it does. I guess not all
> Emacs users share your aversion to "external commands" ...

No aversion at all. But if something works in Emacs Lisp, I will not
use external program. It is natural.

> > The function `rcd-password' fulfils the purpose of `pwgen'
> > to generate passwords for me.
>
> It isn't as good, that's the issue. No idea why on cannot read
> a non-regular file from Elisp, but head(1) and pwgen(1) can do
> it from C, and Emacs is written in C as well, so maybe it can
> be done as a C built-in (Lisp primitive) or, as said, in
> a C dynamic module ...

It is as good as it can be.

(rcd-password) ⇒ "jLYRd+9ntSvHacClVuP]" -- obviously random. You have
my algorithm published, try to guess the next one. If you cannot
guess, there is no proof that it is "not good".

The purpose of generated passwords is to provide enough random
password that will not be easily guessed by brute force
attacks. Websites and shell accounts have often other measures to
prevent multiple brute force attempts.

So far nobody of theoretical password scientists on this list did not
break any of my passwords, despite all the invitations and awards
offered.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns