Re: "Screen"-like functionality

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: "Screen"-like functionality
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 20:27:10 +0200

Julius Hamilton <julkhami@gmail.com> writes:

> Hey,
>
> There is a bash tool called screen which lets you switch windows between
> different command line prompts.
>
> Is there any similar tool for Emacs, where you could run some kind of
> process, for example the Emacs web browser, then switch to a different
> window or process within Emacs, such as a text file being edited?
>
> I guess it would just be like having tabs but the tab bar would ideally not
> be visible.
>
> Thanks very much,
> Julius

Every file, process, etc has it's own buffer, and you may always switch
buffers with C-x b in any window. You might wish to explore tools like
helm-buffers which will autocomplete name of buffers from an interactive
list as you type. You may also bind functions `previous-buffer' and
`next-buffer' to a keybinding for easier navigation.

For example I use F10 to go to previous buffer, and S-F10 to next
buffer. I usually just tap F10 quickly to navigate list of buffers.