headings in sh-mode

From: lisa-asket
Subject: headings in sh-mode
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 21:58:19 +0200 (CEST)

From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: headings in sh-mode
Date: 02/07/2021 20:34:04 Europe/Paris

lisa-asket wrote:

> Then I did
>
> * Heading
>
> ** Heading
>
> *** Heading
>
> **** Heading
>
> The last headings took effect, but they srcew up the srcipt
> because they are not used as comments.

>Of course, you must obey the shell language rules (syntax in
>this case), if you'd like it to work.

It was by default, I did not set them up.  Simply loaded a bash file,

called `M-x outline-minor-mode` and lines starting with `*` were

considered as headings.  This screws up shell scripts.  This problem

should be fixed so headings must start with `#` first.

>But honestly... you don't need a header hierarchy like this
>for a shell script, they should be simple and short (well, as
>short as possible, and long scripts aren't advanced, really,
>they are just long).

The header hierarchy functionality is available, so I do not see

how one can disregard a such a problem, advising people not to

use it.

I went to the doctor because my thumb hurts.  He told me not to use it !

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal