Re: There is a docker image of GNU Emacs?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: There is a docker image of GNU Emacs?
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 00:41:22 +0200

Corwin Brust wrote:

> My use case involves trying out some "Emacs as a Service"
> types of things under various versions/builds of Emacs.
> In honestly, I'm not sure the draw toward docker vs native
> package install (or self-build) for day-to-day use.
> For experimentation (perhaps including try-before-you-buy
> ;) of a new Emacs Version) it's quite handy do delete the
> container and know that your base system has whatever
> system libraries it had before, all at their previous
> versions and so forth.

Oh, Emacs as a Service, that was new. I like the
oldschoolness of Emacs and I'm that guy myself, that's the
emotional appeal, but I've heard of that concept in other
areas, and now I've heard of it here as well, so it seems
Emacs keeps up with the modern world :)

I read about Docker in Linux Magazine some ~10 years ago and
IIUC it is/was a streamlined way of moving modularized
computer resources around in a predictable way.

The way I use Emacs is rather the opposite, I have it right
here and then use Tramp to move around, instead of
dispatching Emacses all around but perhaps one can think of
something to do with it (except for deleting it :)), for
example perhaps one could have persistent IRC with ERC like
this, right now I do the tmux/ssh detach/attach dance with
irssi, there I just read the backlog, then I have ERC here to
do actual... like carry out really important tasks.

Can you do that with Docker?

PS. Seems like gmane.emacs.erc.general is alive so
    I crosspost it there for their information, but let's
    follow up here since the thread started here. DS.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal