Re: How to avoid compiler warning `unused lexical variable' for `dolist'

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to avoid compiler warning `unused lexical variable' for `dolist' or `dotimes'?
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2021 02:12:21 +0100

Jean Louis wrote:

>> Same as for any other place where you might declare
>> a variable that you don't actually use: make sure the var's
>> name starts with an underscore. This tells the compiler
>> that you're aware of the fact the var is not used (but
>> still want this variable there for some reason; e.g.
>> in dotimes and dolist you don't have the choice not to put
>> a variable there).
>>
>> Traditionally for `dotimes`, I'd then use `_` as the
>> variable name unless I really want to give a hint to the
>> reader about what kind of things I'm counting like (dotimes
>> (_column-nb ...) ...).
>
> That also sounds like workaround around the real problem.
> In `dotimes' I do use the VAR counted. It is not same as
> (let ((_ (execute some program without))))

But is this really a workaround in your case? Because you _do_
use it!

  (dolist (_ignored-var '(a b c))
    (message "%s" _ignored-var) )

  geh.el:257:1: Warning: variable ‘_ignored-var’ not left unused

See? Sometimes the byte-compiler gets it right!

:)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573