Re: Cycle Auto-Fill

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Cycle Auto-Fill
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2020 03:33:22 +0100

Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:

> So, only comment-auto-fill-only-comments need to be set to buffer
> local.  Right?

I think so, yes.  BTW, in my Emacs, the variable corresponding to
auto-fill-mode is auto-fill-function; `auto-fill-mode' is unbound.

> Returning back to taking the property "state".  If it is global. that
> would only mean that in a different buffer the cycle would begin from
> a a different starting point.  But then, the auto-fill settings would
> still be buffer local.

Yes, that, and cycling in the first buffer may bring you from 2 to 1 or
from 2 to 2 afterwards.  Might be confusing, once you got used to it.

> Does the order of the two commands matter?
>
> (set (make-local-variable 'comment-auto-fill-only-comments) t)
> (auto-fill-mode 1)
>
> versus
>
> (auto-fill-mode 1)
> (set (make-local-variable 'comment-auto-fill-only-comments) t)

No, should not matter.  These things are called expressions, btw.

[And you might prefer `setq-local'.]

Regards,

Michael.