Re: Designing people and organization management for Emacs

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Designing people and organization management for Emacs
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2020 19:26:34 +0300

* Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> [2020-12-04 19:12]:
> > Model is designed based on data to enter in the future. If data
> > changes in the future it is very easy to change the model. Good
> > example with my experience is that few people that I know over long
> > span of years changed their email addresses multiple times. But I do
> > like to have capability to keep those obsolete email addresses as they
> > are still related to the person and emails of the person. By using
> > person's ID I can quickly access all email files. But if I have only 3
> > fields for email addresses I have no space for 4th and 5th field.
>
> I meant, could users be able to set their own models?

Users can always design their database tables or models.

In relation to this project "people" I am now polishing the table
unless there are no comments in the way how I think is best. Then
users can adapt table if they wish to or make their own functions to
enhance.

Let us say there table has:

people_firstname
people_middlenames
people_lastname

For myself only lastname is required, and there can be anything like
even email address, as some people are unknown. It can be
'Unknown'. In some countries people must have first name, maybe
somebody wish to make it obligatory so they can impose that on the
database level and on the Emacs Lisp level.

Let us say somebody does not want to use those columns at all but just
one column, that person can add it:

ALTER TABLE people ADD COLUMN people_name TEXT;

and then other columns need not be used.

But my system is enough general that will allow designing any table
and then editing such table. The minimum requirement would be to keep
for every table _id like people_id with unique number.

First we have to have good contacts management that is upgradable with
other tables.

Jean