tabulated-list-mode for dynamic knowledge repository - Re: Need to know

From: Jean Louis
Subject: tabulated-list-mode for dynamic knowledge repository - Re: Need to know how to goto-column
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2020 19:23:55 +0300

* Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> [2020-12-03 17:34]:
> > I am trying to construct ordered display of various items. Maybe I
> > should use skeleton for that. I have 2 columns and in first one
> > sometimes, sometimes not, appear various properties, in second one
> > sometimes, sometimes not appear various properties. But in any case I
> > want them aligned.
> >
> > If anybody knows what is usually used in Emacs to align text, may let me
> > know.
>
> There is `tabulated-list-mode`, which may be of use. There is also the
> function
> `truncate-string-to-width`, in case `tabulated-list-mode` is too high-level
> for
> your purpose.

That function truncate-string-to-width although it sounds destructive
is probably useful for this.

tabulated-list-mode I use since quite long time as that is where
Hyperscope software fits in. I am developing dynamic knowledge library
and tabulated-list-mode is used to browse the data tree. I spend more
time in tabulated-list-mode than many users as that is where I do the
things that people do with Org mode as I have transitioned from Org
mode to Hyperscope.

About Dynamic Knowledge Repositories (DKR)
https://www.dougengelbart.org/content/view/190/163/

The hyperlink as above, I am inserting with one key from
Hyperscope. It will tell you some foundation. It is backed by
PostgreSQL database. Currently I am using it for 19700+ indexed items
for conceptual or semantic access to any piece of information
including files. No more hierarchical browsing as file system is now
concept based.

In general it is similar to other software like:

GNOWSYS: A Kernel for Semantic Computing!
https://www.gnu.org/software/gnowsys

Memex
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memex

Hypothes.is Annotate the web, with anyone, anywhere.
https://web.hypothes.is/

Memacs
https://github.com/novoid/Memacs

SMOS - A Comprehensive Self-Management System
https://github.com/NorfairKing/smos

Project Xanadu
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Xanadu

For me it would be best if tabulated-list-mode could expand under each
line into some pieces of text.

Emacs Hyperscope is like meta level Org mode editing. It provides
relational structure. When necessary it can be exported into Org
mode. That would be maybe good to print documents or otherwise give
small degraded presentation of the multi-object document.

Here is the checklist I am following for Hyperscope.

TECHNOLOGY TEMPLATE PROJECT OHS Framework
https://www.dougengelbart.org/content/view/110/460/

Org mode can hardly catchup in implementation of the Technology
Template Project, it has single user features and lacks the structured
data. It has structured text but it is not near the structure of a
database.

Org mode was simple and now became complex software that was meant to
be remain simple and now wish to become database which is not
(yet). Users spend way much time handling simple things and getting
stuck while procrastination.

- DEADLINE... extend it... DEADLINE extend it... hahahhaah

- SCHEDULED... delete it... not any more scheduled

- to send task by email to assignee involves tedious copy and
  pasting. It should be one or two clicks, not more than that.

- users put TODO everywhere and of course they need agenda piece of
  software because in first place they make mess out of all tasks
  distributed randomly everywhere.

Jean