Re: Auto Fill Comments

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Auto Fill Comments
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 01:06:29 +0100

The problem starts with actually trying to do something after deciding to
give elisp a try.  Very often this requires a lot of emacs specific knowledge.
There need to be links with very clear steps.  If you want X, here's how you
do it, geared towards the beginning developer (to elisp, not to development).
For the expert, there are all lots or resources to find information.

---------------------
Christopher Dimech
General Administrator - Naiad Informatics - GNU Project (Geocomputation)
- Geophysical Simulation
- Geological Subsurface Mapping
- Disaster Preparedness and Mitigation
- Natural Resource Exploration and Production
- Free Software Advocacy

> Sent: Monday, November 30, 2020 at 12:41 AM
> From: "Michael Heerdegen" <michael_heerdegen@web.de>
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Auto Fill Comments
>
> Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:
>
> > Was trying to have a keybinding that cycles between three things:
> >
> > 1. Autofill Only Comments
> > 2. Autofill Whole Buffer
> > 3. Revert to No-Autofill
> >
> > Problem started because I should use buffer-local.  People suggested
> > I read the manual to figure out what to do.  But couldn't follow things
> > well enough to come up with something that works.
>
> Any specific questions?  About things you didn't understand when
> reading?
>
> The basics are simple: You make a variable buffer local in the current
> buffer with `make-local-variable'.  Then setting the variable whenever
> that buffer is current sets the buffer local binding (in that buffer) of
> this variable.  Evaluation of a variable results in the buffer local
> value when there is one, else in the global binding.  `default-value' to
> return the global binding of a variable regardless of buffer-local
> bindings.
>
> See also `setq-local' which makes a variable buffer local in the current
> buffer an sets the value at the same time.

Thanks Michael.  I will have a go at it this week.