Re: Read/process mbox file in Gnus

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: Read/process mbox file in Gnus
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 12:19:57 +0000

On Friday,  6 Nov 2020 at 11:44, Robert Pluim wrote:
> Iʼm told that Gnus' maildir support is not great (Iʼve never tried it
> myself)

In some cases, gnus nnmaildir requires O(n^3) or even O(n^4) time in
visiting a maildir group where n is the number of messages.  Anything
over a few hundred and it can take minutes to enter the
group.  Something to do with sequencing the emails; IIRC it uses time
stamps to determine whether to re-sequence or not.

I really like maildir as I read my emails on several different
systems.  I use unison to keep everything in sync.  Unfortunately, this
triggers the above problem.

So I switched to nnml, because of the above, with splitting and careful
naming of groups to include system names, then using virtual groups to
put all together.  Sounds messy but it works.

(my groups have 10s of thousands of emails)

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.4 on Debian bullseye/sid