Re: bounds-of-thing-at-point for paragraphs

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: bounds-of-thing-at-point for paragraphs
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2020 21:52:32 +0300

* Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> [2020-11-01 21:45]:
> > I was asking how bounds-of-thing-at-point does not take paragraph as
> > argument
> > as well, since it does for word, sentence, line. Can paragraph be included
> > as
> > well?
>
> But it does.
>
> (bounds-of-thing-at-point 'paragraph) works fine.

It works fine, but documentation does not describe it:

bounds-of-thing-at-point is an autoloaded compiled Lisp function in
‘thingatpt.el’.

(bounds-of-thing-at-point THING)

Determine the start and end buffer locations for the THING at point.
THING should be a symbol specifying a type of syntactic entity.
Possibilities include ‘symbol’, ‘list’, ‘sexp’, ‘defun’,
‘filename’, ‘url’, ‘email’, ‘uuid’, ‘word’, ‘sentence’, ‘whitespace’,
‘line’, and ‘page’.

See the file ‘thingatpt.el’ for documentation on how to define a
valid THING.

Return a cons cell (START . END) giving the start and end
positions of the thing found.

> (thing-at-point 'paragraph) also works fine.

Also there documentation is not describing it:

thing-at-point is an autoloaded compiled Lisp function in
‘thingatpt.el’.

(thing-at-point THING &optional NO-PROPERTIES)

  Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 20.

Return the THING at point.
THING should be a symbol specifying a type of syntactic entity.
Possibilities include ‘symbol’, ‘list’, ‘sexp’, ‘defun’,
‘filename’, ‘url’, ‘email’, ‘uuid’, ‘word’, ‘sentence’, ‘whitespace’,
‘line’, ‘number’, and ‘page’.

Could somebody update documentation for those functions?