Re: magit attempting to use external editor (!) for commit

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: magit attempting to use external editor (!) for commit
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 19:19:43 +0200

    Eric> Hello all,
    Eric> For some reason, starting today, after updating Emacs from git, when I
    Eric> try to commit a change using magit, it tries to start up emacsclient
    Eric> (maybe based on my EDITOR environment variable?).  It actually fails
    Eric> whether I've started the server or not.  First of all, why would magit
    Eric> want to do this given that I'm in Emacs already?  Has it always done
    Eric> this?  Secondaly, what is it that I have done (or not done) to end up
in
    Eric> this situation?

- Because itʼs providing the commit message to git using git's
  external editor support, which then needs to call back into emacs
- Yes
- The interface to emacsclient changed in emacs, which means the
  with-editor package needed to be adjusted. See
  <https://github.com/magit/with-editor/issues/82>
  and <https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=43716>

TL;DR update your with-editor package

    Eric> I have reverted to using vc-* commands for the time being so I can
keep
    Eric> working but I do like using magit for selective commits.

I feel your pain

Robert