Re: Any way to remove ^L or ^M from some buffer outputs?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Any way to remove ^L or ^M from some buffer outputs?
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 21:14:25 +0300

* Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> [2020-10-05 20:06]:

> > > But this assumes the buffer is editable ... besides
> > > there should be a command (onee) that toggles the
> > > visibility of that specific kind of representation,
> > > whatever it is called, for _all_ such chars...
> >
> > It is in read-only buffers,
>
> If you want to edit a read-only buffer, toggle it
> to writable with `C-x C-q'.

Those are shell output buffers and similar, and it looks ugly, I was
thinking there is some option to set, to avoid that. Of course I will
not edit it with hand, it is about watching output nicely formatted.

For example instead of ^L to get new line, I do not see new line, so
it just continues.

> If it's a file buffer and you don't have write
> permission for the file, then you likely won't be
> able to write the updated buffer back to the file.
> But that's a different problem from being able to
> edit the buffer.
>
> > I was just thinking there is option to
> > remove that as it looks as garbiage.
>
> Garbage/noise is in the eye of the beholder.

Exactly. So it is not expected output. If I do shell command, there is
expected output that should be similar or same as in the shell, in
Emacs the new lines are not always interpreted correctly.