Re: Multiple summary buffers

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Multiple summary buffers
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2020 17:22:55 -0700

Tim Landscheidt <tim@tim-landscheidt.de> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>
>> […]
>
>> There's currently no way around this, as Gnus only lets you have one
>> active Summary buffer at a time, which means all the old data is dumped
>> every time you switch groups. In the back of my head I have some ideas
>> for removing this restriction, but it will take a long time to get
>> there.
>
>> […]
>
> Just to clarify: I've been using several *Summary* buffers
> (for /different/ groups) all the time.  Is this not supposed
> to work?  Or did you mean "Gnus only lets you have one ac-
> tive Summary buffer per group at a time?"

Yes, that wasn't phrased quite right. It's certainly possible to simply
leave the Summary buffers active, but it's awkward, and the buffers
don't sync with the server without "/ N" and/or "M-g", both of which
effectively redraw the buffer anyway. So I'm looking at ways to update
the Summary buffer "in place", either automatically or on an interactive
command.