Re: Gnus: caching message headers?

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Gnus: caching message headers?
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2020 17:50:02 +0000

I'm clearly not an expert, but would it not be enough to save and retrieve the contents of nntp-server-buffer in nnimap-retrieve-headers? Or are you thinking about a more generic solution that would work with all backends?

We could do something ad-hoc for nnimap, but yes I'm thinking of something more generic. All the header data (what's used to create the Summary display) is held in variables that are local to the Summary buffer, so in principle there's no reason we couldn't just leave the local data in place when we leave the buffer. There are plenty of obstacles to making it work correctly, but in principle I don't see why not.

I would be happy with an ad-hoc solution for nnimap, which I suppose is the most used backend these days (but I could be wrong). In fact I wasn't thinking of just leaving the local data in place when the summary buffer is left (which could eat a lot of memory), but instead to store them permanently in a cache on disk, and to read that file again instead of doing a "UID FETCH" on the server.