Re: Emacs 27.1 - Issue with pdumper

From: José Manuel García-Patos
Subject: Re: Emacs 27.1 - Issue with pdumper
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 09:38:42 +0200

Eli Zaretskii escribió
> That's not my reading of the code.  How do you see that Emacs looks
> for emacs.pdmp before looking for BASENAME_OF_EMACS.pdmp?  My reading
> of the code is that we do the exact opposite: emacs.pdmp is looked for
> as the last resort.

The way I see it, the current order is:

(1) --dump-file=FILE command-line option
(2) <basename>.pdmp (in the same directory as the executable)
(3) emacs.pdmp (in PATH_EXEC)
(4) <basename>.pdmp in PATH_EXEC

Personally, I don't see the point of (2), but if it's there, I'm sure
there is a reason. My proposal is to swap (3) and (4).

(3') <basename>.pdmp in PATH_EXEC
(4') emacs.pdmp

That's my actual set-up: emacs-no-x11 goes through (3') and regular
emacs goes through (4'). With the current order, emacs.pdmp would be
found in (3), (4) would never be executed and I would get the error I
mentioned when I tried to run emacs-no-x11. Regular emacs would not be
affected either way, because it is the default.

You might say: “You can use (2), too.” Yes, but leaving dump files in
/usr/bin is not as clean a solution as leaving them where they
belong. Even the comment in the code hints at that:

      /* Finally, look for basename(argv0)+".pdmp" in PATH_EXEC.
      This way, they can rename both the executable and its pdump
      file in PATH_EXEC, and have several Emacs configurations in
      the same versioned libexec subdirectory.  */

All the best.

--
José Manuel García-Patos
Madrid