RE: Another Emacs incompatibilty

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Another Emacs incompatibilty
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 07:31:33 -0700 (PDT)

> It occurred to me that this was not a perfect solution,
> unless the deleted piece is stashed somewhere for reuse.

Eli has mentioned in his reply that you can control this
on a command-by-command basis (or otherwise).

The reason both `kill' (so you can later yank/paste the
removed text) and `delete' (in which case you can't) are
offered is this:

There are many cases - typically the vast majority, where
the text that's removed (often replaced by other text) is
not something you want to "pollute" the kill ring (ring
of past deletions).  That is, you probably won't want to
later paste such text, and having it mixed in, on the
kill ring, with other text that you might want to paste,
makes it a bit more difficult to get to some text to paste.

> I have not decided whether to take advantage of this new feature.

Delete Selection mode is not a new feature for Emacs.
It's been there for decades.  It's not turned on by
default, that's all.

> Is it currently  possible, if d-s-m is active, to easily retrieve the
> deleted/replaced item?

Yes, on a per-command basis.