`url-insert-file-contents' not reliably connecting.

From: Brett Gilio
Subject: `url-insert-file-contents' not reliably connecting.
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 21:04:21 -0500

Hey all,

I am writing an elisp library for generating an RSS blog webring
integrated with org-mode. In order to fetch the RSS XML files we are
using `url-insert-file-contents' to connect to a list of URLs that
eventually get parsed out. There is a bizarre behavior with this
function, however, as it does not /always/ reliably connect to all of
the URLs in a given list. For example:

(setq org-webring-urls
      '("https://brettgilio.ml/rss.xml";
        "https://drewdevault.com/feed.xml";
        "https://sourcehut.org/blog/index.xml";
        "https://kowainik.github.io/rss.xml";
        "http://www.weaselhat.com/feed";
        "https://sachachua.com/blog/feed/";))

When given this variable set, with 6 entries. There are times where it
will connect to 5, 6, 4, 2, 3... and terminate successfully without
producing any error message. There is not any suspected connectivity
issue, as when that occurs an error message DOES get raised. It just
seems to terminate whenever it thinks it is done, but never
consistently, and never in the same order.

Here is the complete file containing all of the current source code for
this library:
https://git.sr.ht/~brettgilio/org-webring/tree/master/org-webring.el

I hope somebody can help me figure out this mystery.

Brett Gilio