Re: On the rate of change [was: Another Emacs incompatibilty]

From: tomas
Subject: Re: On the rate of change [was: Another Emacs incompatibilty]
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 17:20:55 +0200

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 04:21:41PM +0200, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the
GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
> tomas wrote:
>
> > It doesn't move, and then it's dead (heck even
> > /bin/ls had to take ACLs into account at some point
> > and SELinux at another). It does move too much, and
> > then people flee in all directions (remember Jamie
> > Zawinski's CADT?).
>
> Well, no one is contemplating re-writing
> Emacs, right?

I hope not :)

But then, if someone takes up this huge task, kudos, anyway.

> I don't know if the rate of change is really the/a
> problem. Can't you expand without breaking what is
> there already? Isn't that what's been happening, 99%
> of the time?

I'm totally happy about Emacs's rate of change, mind you. If
my mumblings implied otherwise, that's more a limitation on
my communications skills.

[...]

Agreed with you on the rest.

Cheers