Re: N-key rollover keyboards

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: N-key rollover keyboards
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2020 01:47:41 +0700

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 at 00:46, Dmitry Alexandrov <dag@gnui.org> wrote:

> Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Of course there is an interaction. You have a stack of software, all
> > listening for keystrokes. They will have a chance to handle them in roughly
> > this order:
> >
> > 1. your kernel (typically handles Ctrl+Alt+F1..F10 to switch TTYs)
>
> Is that really the case?
>
> — M-! xkbcomp $DISPLAY -
> — remove  XF86Switch_VT_1  from  key <FK01>
> — M-| xkbcomp - $DISPLAY
> → and Ctrl-Alt-F1 does not work anymore for me.

Good catch. Things in parentheses are just examples though; my point
is that there is a hierarchy of layers and each higher layer may
choose to intercept and handle certain keystrokes before they ever
reach the lower ones. When debugging an “I press a key and do not get
the expected effect” issue, it helps to understand exactly on which
layer you expect an effect, and which layers above might have a say.