Re: Emacs as a translator's tool

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Emacs as a translator's tool
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 12:28:57 +0900

> On Jun 10, 2020, at 10:39, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text
> editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>
>> Sure. You may want to take a look at the standard.
>
> Do you have the actual set of rules?
>
> I found this quote:
>
>   SRX make use of the ICU Regular Expression
>   syntax,^[3] but not all programming languages
>   support all ICU expressions, making implementing
>   SRX in some languages difficult or impossible.
>   Java is an example of this. [1]
>
> Heh, poor Java, well if I had the rules I'm pretty
> confident we can implement them in one form or
> another...
>
> And I found a list
>
>  * Pangolin is a free open-source SRX editor.
>    <https://github.com/davidmason/Pangolin>

Interesting. Web based and based on Ratel (below)

>  * Ratel is a free open-source and cross-platform
>    application to create and maintain SRX 2.0 files [...]
>    <http://okapiframework.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ratel>

The Okapi Framework should really be in Debian :) Some of its main contributors
were editors for related standards.

>  * SRXEditor is a free open source cross-platform
>    editor of segmentation rules by Maxprograms,
>    designed to use Segmentation Rules eXchange (SRX) 2.0.
>    <http://www.maxprograms.com/products/srxeditor.html> [1]

Maxprograms has been releasing its code as FOSS for a little while, only
charging for the installers. The main developer was editor for a few related
standards.

I mentioned both Okapi and Maxprograms in the mail where I wrote about the
processes.

> None of that is in the Debian repos what I can
> see...
>
> No mention of SRX in the [M]ELPAs and no (?) good
> Google hits for Emacs and SRX.

Not really surprising.

> Is it this file: [2] Then why the archive link? (from
> the SRXEditor page, see URL above) Is this standard
> obsoleted or unofficial, perhaps?

SRX is not obsolete or unofficial, LISA has been disbanded, in 2011.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Localization_Industry_Standards_Association

Jean-Christophe

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune