Re: utf-8 thai character display issue?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: utf-8 thai character display issue?
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2020 23:34:16 +0300

> From: scole_mail <scole_mail@gmx.com>
> Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2020 11:05:18 -0700
>
> I am sometimes having trouble with displaying and entering a specific
> thai character ำ "THAI CHARACTER SARA AM".
>
> If that character follows some other thai characters or I try to type it
> in directly following some other thai character it won't display
> properly in the buffer.  It looks like there is no character there.
>
> I know actually it is in the buffer because I can get the properties of
> it even though it is not being displayed.  Here are 2 example words that
> have issues on my system
>
> กำลัง    (ing)
> น้ำ      (water)
>
> The 2nd word is always not displayed correctly. The first word is
> sometimes displayed correctly depending on what other thai text files I
> may have visited early.  I have tried using and switching various thai
> fonts and sizes, but it seems like once the issue appears changing or
> resizing the fonts never helps.
>
> My emacs version is
> GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64--netbsd, GTK+ Version 3.24.14) of
> 2020-05-31
> I also use this version of emacs built on macos and it doesn't have the
> problem.

This sounds like a problem with the text shaping engine your build is
using on NetBSD.  (you didn't give the details of the build, so I
cannot know which shape engine is being used, but I'm guessing its
libflt.)  Try upgrading to Emacs 27, and make sure it is built with
HarfBuzz support (the latest pretest can be downloaded from
alpha.gnu.org).