Re: Sending mail: line wrapping and quoted-printable encoding

From: Radu Butoi
Subject: Re: Sending mail: line wrapping and quoted-printable encoding
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 17:44:24 -0400

Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> writes:

> Hi Radu, emacs users,
> * Radu Butoi <rbutoi@gmail.com> [2020-04-27; 18:20]:
>> Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> writes:
>>> And then there is the question who other providers will show
>>> quoted-printable E-Mails in their clients (web interfaces).
>>
>> I appreciate your skepticism here :-) -- but from everything I've read the
>> quoted-printable encoding is well-supported by most/all email clients. It is
>> from RFC2045 (MIME), whereas f=f is the lesser-supported RFC3676. Doing a
>> search of my maildir, I find a large majority of them contain it. To test
>> this, I'll be sending this message without hard-wrapping and with the Q-P
>> encoding. If it shows up fine, I think I need to `edebug` the Emacs MIME
>> library to find out exactly what's going wrong.
>
> This paragraph of yours is wrapped fine by notmuch show, but
> this is to expect, it's merely a single long line.  I do not
> re-fill it here.
>
> f=f is different though it:
>
> 1. f=f renders paragraphs with soft line breaks thus every
>    email client should be able to show it even if not able
>    to grok f=f.
> 2. f=f enabled mail clients are not only capable of
>    re-flowing the paragraphs to the window size, but even
>    quoting in several levels is preserved while reflowing
>    the paragraphs

Indeed, f=f is better in many ways -- it's just that Gmail doesn't
support it so I want to work around that.

> I re-filled your last paragraph.
>
> I fiddled around f=f several years ago and found
>
> a. support in email clients to be lacking
> b. f=f does not support, but to the contrary ruins, plain
>    lists and indented paragraphs.
>

> Points a. and b. were deal breakers for me and so I stay
> with hard line breaks till today.  But since I want my
> emails to be readable even for people on mobile devices I
> opted for short lines.  Thus your screenshot is really
> helpful for me.
>
>> Thanks for your responses! And let me know if this shows up okay.
>
> Have a look for yourself, ciao; Gregor
> --

Glad to help. It seems like the web interface wraps my email fine (as
well as my phone, as expected), so I'm going to try to dig into this
MIME issue further, starting with a new thread to this list that narrows
down the problem with the MIME library.

Thanks,
Radu