Re: Set major mode for all visited files by extension

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Re: Set major mode for all visited files by extension
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 13:33:04 -0800

On 5/2/20 5:00 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:
Using GNU Emacs 26.3, X toolkit

With my configuration, when I open emacs and load a session, it appears that a modified auto-mode-alist entry is consulted *after* the associated major-mode from the previous session is used and is therefore ignored.

A practical application is if I have been using the built-in elisp mode for .el files and then implement xah-elisp-mode, even if I code

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.el$" . xah-elisp-mode))

in my init.el, the previously visited buffers that are automatically opened when I start emacs will still be in elisp-mode. The fix, of course is to invoke xah-elisp-mode from the minibuffer. This is certainly doable, even with multiple elisp buffers opened, but I'm always looking to eliminate redundancies.

It would be handy if there were a command that would set all visited buffers ending in a specific file extension to a specific mode. If such were available, it would come in handy for experimenting with alternative major modes.

Is there such a feature?
Since there does not appear to be such a feature, a simple fix is to reload init.el, or if testing, evaluate a temporary modification in scratch buffer
and run the following function which I have in my "general library"
(defun reload-buffer ()
  "Reload the current buffer"
  (interactive)
  (let ((curfile (buffer-file-name)))
    (kill-this-buffer)
(find-file curfile)))

Which has a key binding, so all buffers can be updated fairly quickly.
Not to add to Emanuel's protestations, but the 'desktop package has the same issues.
Oh, well, case closed ...

--

Tim
tj49.com