Re: Xref oddness

From: Patrick Mahan
Subject: Re: Xref oddness
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 12:32:30 -0700

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 12:21 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Patrick Mahan <plmahan@gmail.com>
> > Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 12:00:27 -0700
> >
> > Our sysadmins have setup where our home directories and development
> > directories are on multiple drives but are all symlinked through the same
> > top-level directory.  For example, my actual home directory is on
> > /home2/patrick but it is access via /home/patrick (patrick under /home is
> > sym-linked to /home2/patrick).  The same occurs for our development
> > directories (/development/patrick is sym-linked to
> /development5/patrick).
> > Now since our development directories are setup as multiple directories,
> > was using the following  method for finding TAGS files -
> >
> > (setq tags-table-list (list "./" "../"
> >                                 (concat (getenv "WORK") "/src/lib")
> >                                 (concat (getenv "WORK") "/src/bin")
> >                                 (concat (getenv "WORK") "/src/include")
> >                                 (concat (getenv "WORK") "/src")))
> >
> > WORK is defined as the top of my current development sandbox and changes
> as
> > I jump between sandboxes.
>
> I don't think I understand how the symlinks come into play here.
> Could you please tell more?  How do you get from $WORK to
> /home/patrick and /home2/patrick? or maybe its /development/patrick
> and /development5/patrick?  I'm confused.

I use the sym-linked name.  For example I would 'cd /home/temp' instead of
'/home2/temp'.  WORK is defined to '/development/patrick/current' or
'/development/patrick/release5'.  It is never defined to
'/development5/patrick/...'.

I have commands to switch between different development sandboxes (and
redefine WORK).

I realized I forgot to describe the problem I am seeing.  If I am editing a
file in a sandbox, for example, emacs $WORK/src/bin/app1/main.c, then need
to find a tag (M-.) under 25.2 it always gives me two choices, both are
same, except one shows the sym-linked directory and the other shows the
realpath directory.  Forcing me to have to chose.  This is rather annoying,
especially if I do a (M-4 .) for finding a tag in another window or (M-5 .)
for finding a tag in another frame.  It gives me the list of choices, but
then takes over the original buffer.

If I use the original 'find-tag' command in 25.2 it works as it does under
24.5.

> > Or should I just go back to redefining those keys to the old
> > 'find-tag' et.al.?
>
> Not recommended: you'll be fighting an uphill battle.  Perhaps there's
> a bug, or there's a way to configure your Emacs a bit differently.
>
> Not something I would like to do as my .emacs is complicate enough with
all the platforms I work upon.

I hope that is clearer,

Thanks,

Patrick