Re: w32-shell-execute and Cygwin

From: Jakub Jankiewicz
Subject: Re: w32-shell-execute and Cygwin
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 10:27:39 +0200

> >> Under windows-nt I'm using w32-shell-execute to start a Windows10
> >> program.  This isn't working for Emacs-26.3 in a cygwin terminal because
> >> w32-shell-execute is not bound.
> >
> > Why don't use you WSL, it's Linux on Windows 10, that is fully compatible
> > with Windows binaries, so you can use standard way to start a process in
>
> Good idea :-)
>
> Installed it and it seems to be a good alternative to (other?) VMs.  But
> to be fully functional I need to run graphical programs on it as well.
> For example an Emacs with docview.
>
> Do you know if this is possible?

I have installed GNU Emacs from [Choco][1], windows application not Linux one
so every GUI mode works. With that one ansi-term doesn't work. Other option
was is [Emacs-WSL Guide][2] but I didn't tested it. It seems that it work with
[ansi-term][3]. It's Emacs from Linux and the intro to the guide say that it
show how make it work with GUI.

[1]: https://chocolatey.org/docs/installation
[2]: https://github.com/hubisan/emacs-wsl
[3]: https://github.com/hubisan/emacs-wsl/issues/8