Re: Browser Fingerprinting

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Browser Fingerprinting
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 03:51:25 +0200

Tomas Nordin wrote:

>> Here is an interesting article on so called "Browser
>> Fingerprinting" [1]. This can be of some concern to
>> people using uncommon browsers like Emacs-w3m.
>
> I did this test at https://panopticlick.eff.org in
> 2017 [...]

That doesn't work for me, just says

  Refresh (3 sec) [...]

>> Of course, the IP is still there, because otherwise
>> the server won't know where to send the requested
>> HTML. I think it is much more likely that tracking
>> will be done using that, than the
>> browser fingerprint!
>
> Maybe. EFF explained to me at the time that browser
> fingerprinting is more effective since IP can change
> over time and can be fiddled with with VPN and so on.
> (Of course browser can change as well but anyway)

Without an IP that points from the server record to your
conapt, just knowing that someone with a certain browser
has requested a service from the server - I don't think
that will be enough to associate the user with the
action - not legally, and not even practically, let's
say you deal with organized crime or live in
a dictatorship - or am I wrong? Because how will they
find you?

> Browser fingerprinting for tracking users ought to be
> illegal. It's just wrong, no matter you have something
> to hide or not. Edward Snowden said something I agree
> with -- saying that you don't care about privacy
> because you don't have anything to hide is like saying
> you don't care about freedom of speech because you
> have nothing to say.

Well, OK :)

--
underground experts united