Re: VM on Emacs 26?

From: George Hartzell
Subject: Re: VM on Emacs 26?
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 12:10:43 -0800

Skip Montanaro writes:
 > I don't use vm a ton anymore, just to work through the unsure messages held
 > by SpamBayes for mail.python.org. Alas, upgrading from Emacs 25 to 26 the
 > other day seems to have borked vm. I do have it installed on my Ubuntu
 > 18.04 system:
 >
 > vm/bionic,bionic,now 8.2.0b-2.1 all [installed]
 >   mail user agent for Emacs
 >
 > but Emacs 26 is clearly not finding it. Any suggestions?
 >
 > Skip

I'm running it in emacs 26.3 on a mac (via homebrew), so it can be
made to work.

[My config][config] uses [straight.el] to manage it's dependencies.

Here's the interesting bit of the vm setup.

```lisp
(use-package vm
  :straight (vm :type git :host github :repo "emacsmirror/vm"
                :fork (:host github
                             :repo "hartzell/vm"
                             :branch "oldie"
                             ;; :branch "wip"
                             )
                :no-byte-compile t
                :files (:defaults "lisp/*.elc")
                )
  :commands (vm)

  :init
  (require 'cl)
  :config
  ;; Make VM your default mail agent in Emacs
  (setq mail-user-agent 'vm-user-agent)

  ;; Many many configuratinos things redacted
  ;; (setq vm-berkeley-mail-compatibility t)
  ;; ....

  (add-hook 'vm-mode-hook
            '(lambda ()
               (setq vm-visible-headers
                     (append vm-visible-headers (list "X-Spam-Status:")))
               ;; more stuff redacted
               ;; ...
               ))

  ;; ...