Re: safe way to add contents to a file ?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: safe way to add contents to a file ?
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 14:10:02 +0100

Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org>
writes:

>> What have you looked for?
>
> The files chapter, the buffers chapter. It's all descriptions of
> function after function and overall very confusing when you don't know
> the basics of what's necessary.

IMHO the Elisp reference is not the place to teach how file systems
handle content. As Stefan noted the Emacs workflow is not all that
different from what you could do with most popular APIs (POSIX, WIN32,
etc).

I think that the info nodes "Buffer basics" and the linked "Visiting
files" give a good hint about how to solve your task, supposing that you
know that on most operative systems it is not possible to directly
insert content on a file and you need to fake the operation.