Re: ido-find-file doesn't suggest ssh as autocomplete option

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: ido-find-file doesn't suggest ssh as autocomplete option
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 09:49:32 +0200

Stefan Huchler <stefan.huchler@mail.de> writes:

Hi Stefan,

> When I press in ido-find-file mode /s + tab I get as possible
> completions besides the files that start with s scp and scpx but not
> ssh.
>
> If I then manually type in /ssh: it lists the possible hosts correctly,
> but I get no autocompletion choice for ssh, and therefor has to type the
> string manually instead of ss + RET.
>
> Btw the same with sudo I don't get it as completion option, in find-file
> the completion to that methods is there. Same with adb.
>
> Why do I only get some methods to autocomplete and not all? And is there
> a way to configure that differently?

I don't know why you get /scp and /scpx as completion. You shouldn't as
long as Tramp is not loaded.

Compare the two scenarii:

- emacs -Q
- M-x ido-find-file
- / s TAB

You don't see any Tramp method:

Possible completions are:
sbin/   snap/
srv/    sys/

- emacs -Q -l tramp
- M-x ido-find-file
- / s TAB

You see also respective Tramp methods:

Possible completions are:
sbin/   scp:    scpx:   sftp:   sg:     smb:    snap/
srv/    ssh:    sshx:   su:     sudo:   sudoedit:       sys/

Best regards, Michael.