Re: Does emacs cache something on windows when invoking call-process?

From: ISHIKAWA,chiaki
Subject: Re: Does emacs cache something on windows when invoking call-process?
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 15:08:00 +0900

On 2019/07/10 14:31, Eighty Megabytes wrote:
One more case of virus software being not just useless but even harmful.
Just say no!
I wonder what the practical infection vectors for windows these days
if one is careful about installing stuff.

I don't install random binaries from the net. I do install precompiled
exes, but those are from known sources (e.g. git, emacs, etc.).

Firefox is a possible vector, because one visits lots of random sites with
it, so it may be possible that a site exploits some yet unknown security
hole.

So the question is: does the latter warrant running a virus a scanner or
is the danger so low that it's better to keep windows defender off?

You definitely turn the defender ON always unless you have a special anti-virus
program such as Norton Internet, etc. aside from windows defender.

Even the respectable newspaper websites these days contract with ads agencies to
fill the borders of their web pages with random ads.
And random ads are just that. We may never know what will be shown there.

There *HAVE* been reports of such random ads that insert malware into our PCs.

So unless you have a very strict ads blocker such as NoScript,
ad-blocking proxy such as privoxy,
and DNS-based site blocker, I won't feel comfortable.
And actually, I have Norton antivirus on top of the above three under windows10.

I don't have any anti-virus window software inside the linux image that runs within VirtualBox under Windows10.
I don't do web browsing there.

BTW, under windows10, I do hit Norton's access denied warning (from its safe web browsing) when I wander into no one's territory after I find an interesting PR headline/article in a newspaper article or sites such as gigazine, and maybe after three hops or so following the links.

Internet is a very interesting place and useful, but at the same time, it is really
full of pitfalls.

BTW,  I have a home FreeNAS server and it serves owncloud.
For remote maintenance, I have enabled remote ssh. But that is only accessible
with my PKI certificate. No username and password logins are possible.
Imagine my surprise when I found out that the box is bombarded with login attempts from the first week thee years ago. Maybe more than 100 attempts weekly using various login names and password combinations. (I have stopped counting the attempts after a few months. Weekly/Daily/Monthly summaries are sent by FreeNAS software.) Sometimes a persistent attempt leaves more than a few dozen attempts from a single IP address.

So it is up to you to decide.

Chiaki