Re: How to make emacs stop trying to load /home/sb/.emacs after su to ro

From: Perry Smith
Subject: Re: How to make emacs stop trying to load /home/sb/.emacs after su to root?
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2019 19:40:09 -0500

> On Jul 8, 2019, at 5:16 PM, Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> wrote:
>
> debian 10.0 "buster", amd64
> emacs 26.1
>
> I do /bin/su to change the user to root.
> HOME is set to /root
>
> However emacs still tries to load /home/sb/.emacs
>
> How can I make emacs stop loading the original user's .emacs when logged
> in as root?

Can you do “id” after you do the su?  Usually “su - root” is the suggested
method.
The ‘-‘ causes the users environment to get loaded or something.  Never looked
too deep into it.

I suspect one of your uid’s is not root… euid, ruid, etc. and emacs is doing
some type of get user attributes and its returning the real user’s home rather
than the effective user’s home.