Re: Using gdb (windows popping up)

From: jonetsu
Subject: Re: Using gdb (windows popping up)
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2019 14:59:21 -0400

On Sun, 09 Jun 2019 21:31:47 +0300
Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> Alternatively, after "M-x gdb" type "start ARGUMENTS" to start the
> program and stop it at the entry to the main function.  Then set your
> breakpoints after switching to the source file you want in the window
> where Emacs shows the file with the main function.

At the moment I seem to have attained a stable procedure.  In the sense
that the overhead is now limited and predictable.

> As yet another alternative, customize gdb-show-main to a non-nil
> value, and then "M-x gdb" will automatically show the source file with
> the main function in a window; switch in that window to your other
> source file where you want to set a breakpoint, then start the
> program.

Yes, gdb-show-main is set to non-nil.  And yes, it will then show the
source beside the gdb interactive buffer.... until a printf/cout
statement is issued at which point the input/output window will
"aggressively" - as it was termed in a Stack Exchange topic - take over
and decide where any other buffer you deem to see will be actually
located.  Fortunately, the fix I found, setting gdb-display-io-nopopup
(starting at emacs 25) to non-nil solves the issue and brings back
peace of mind regarding the expected freedom one expects in emacs
regarding placing buffers where one wants them.  In other words, if
removes a good part of the tool's quirks in this context and enables
one to concentrate on work.

That such behaviour found its way in emacs is something else.  Imagine
any power tool built wit such quirkiness.