Re: answer from Zoho

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: answer from Zoho
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2019 04:22:31 +0200

I have got another e-mail from Zoho. (BTW, how
outrageous of them to first to blame Gmail,
when what happens is they (Gmail) actually
respect their (Zoho's) own policy, then when
I point this out they insist I should change
e-mail client!?!)

    We would like to confirm that if the emails
    are sent from mail.zoho.com, the emails
    will be delivered without any issues. Also,
    if you use any email clients like Outlook,
    macmail with the Zoho SMTP server settings,
    there will be no issues with the email
    delivery. In case, if you use such email
    clients with different SMTP server
    settings, the emails will be rejected
    according to the DMARC policy. This is what
    we tried to explain in the forum post.
    Kindly try sending emails only through Zoho
    Webmail or from an Authenticated SMTP
    server to avoid such inconveniences.
    Refer here for the server settings.

To this, I replied, again hoping I got it
right, since I'm no expert on a lot of things,
e-mail included:

    Zoho Cares wrote:

    + We would like to confirm that if the emails
    + are sent from mail.zoho.com, the emails will
    + be delivered without any issues. Also, if you
    + use any email clients like Outlook, macmail
    + with the Zoho SMTP server settings

    I use Emacs Gnus. The SMTP server is set to
    smtp.zoho.eu with port 587 (for starttls).

    + there will be no issues with the email
    + delivery. In case, if you use such email
    + clients with different SMTP server settings,
    + the emails will be rejected according to the
    + DMARC policy.

    According to the thread [1], the reason the
    mails aren't delivered or end up in the spam
    directory, is your own policy, which is the
    mails should be rejected if resent, and this is
    what happens when they are sent to a mailing
    list (and possibly to a Usenet newsgroup or
    gateway (e.g., NNTP with Gmane)).

    Previously, Gmail, and others, have chosen to
    disregard this policy setting (in general, i.e.
    not just you doing it), but now they respect it
    - i.e., my mails, sent from you, via the list,
    gets rejected when they arrive at Gmail and
    other hosts.

    Consider the output of the following
    commands: [2 - full source]

    $ dig-zoho
    "v=DMARC1; p=reject; sp=reject; fo=0;
    rua=mailto:dmarc.reports.eu@zoho.eu;
    ruf=mailto:dmarc.reports.eu@zoho.eu";

    $ host-zoho
    _dmarc.zoho.eu descriptive text "v=DMARC1;

    [1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2019-05/msg00473.html
    [2] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.zsh/mail

--
underground experts united