Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 23:09:24 +0200

From: �scar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 17:40:24 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Case in point: IDE features. We know for a long time we lag in this
> department, and there were numerous calls for working on the related
> features. The result is before your eyes.

Take a look outside Savannah and you will see that quite a lot of work
was done on that regard, at least for C++ IDE features.

The key part of the above paragraph is "outside Savannah".

"Outside Savannah" is not relevant when we talk about Emacs.

Hi Eli:

We are far from becoming a toxic community, but new/different ideas are
not really very welcome and sometimes the arguments are like "it has
always been like that", "old users don't want that change".

The conservative attitude in emacs development group (apart from the
technical obstacles like the workflow and the paperwork and so on) gives
the idea of a closed environment (that actually it is from the
development point of view because we are like frozen in the past) where
only very experts are welcome (that's the vision people have from
outside) so very few melpa developers are really interested to face all
those issues to contribute.