Re: Colors on TTY (v26)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Colors on TTY (v26)
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 21:26:39 +0300

> From: Aleksey Midenkov <midenok@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 21:09:56 +0300
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
>  > I tried different terminal names. It seems, that it understands "xterm-"
> prefix. The remaining part can be
>  > arbitrary: I literally tried "xterm-something" and it worked. I guess,
> there is no such file
>  "xterm-something" in the
>  > library. In any case, it's much better to rename terminal to "xterm-*",
> than deal with distributed files.
>
>  Just do "ls lisp/term/*.el" and see what you've got there.
>
> And?

And you will see what names are supported without any need to guess.
And if you want more details about how this works, I can suggest
reading the section "Terminal-Specific Initialization" in the ELisp
manual.

>  What do you mean "should not exists"?  The code is there, it uses
>  whatever knowledge it has when you call it.  Where you did call it, it
>  didn't yet query the terminal to see how many colors it supports, and
>  didn't set up their names.  IOW, you are shooting yourself in the foot
>  by calling the function too early.  There are various hooks provided
>  by startup.el which allow you to call this function when colors are
>  set up; do that, and Bob's your uncle.
>
> You may call it anything you like, but this misleading behavior causes
> trouble.

Yes, invoking code in .emacs which depends on stuff that gets set up
during startup can get some using to.  It does make sense, eventually,
though.