Re: what has the face `message-separator' *really* done for us?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: what has the face `message-separator' *really* done for us?
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 15:34:45 +0100

Xavier Maillard wrote:

>> But Message mode is not only used by Gnus
>> people, but also by people with the poor
>> taste of using Rmail, the so-called "primary
>> Emacs mail-reader" according to RMS. [1]
>
> I have tried many MUAs in the past and Rmail
> is just the perfect tool for my needs ;)
>
> I particularily like the simplicity and the
> fact it does not come with many distractions.
> Thus, when reading my mails, I am really
> focusing on that task: reading my mail ^^

Well, no one, at least not I, is saying no one
cannot use Rmail.

But that quote [1] is incorrect. *Both* Rmail
and Gnus comes with vanilla Emacs, and Gnus is
a hundred times more powerful than Rmail.

Maybe Gnus wasn't around when RMS said/wrote
that? Or maybe it was the old, pre-Ingebrigtsen
GNUS? Or maybe he (RMS) just didn't
know about/cared for either one?

In any case, the quote is incorrect as it
stands. I think it should be removed from the
EmacsWiki, but I'm not about to start an
edit-war for the sake of it.

[1] https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Rmail
    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-09/msg00328.html

--