Re: Gmane up again

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Gmane up again
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2019 01:46:44 +0100

Bob Proulx wrote:

> Indeed I do not see any messages from the
> newsgroup relays here in help-gnu-emacs
> mailing list with the last being January 4th.
> This correlates (correlation is not
> causation) with the IP address subnet
> migration from the previous ISP to the
> new one.

Yeah, that should be that.

The traffic here on
help-gnu-emacs/gmane.emacs.help don't end up
there (gnu.emacs.help) either, so that means
the remaining traffic there is *Usenet only* -
that means, the group will die very soon.

I don't mind that except I feel at this point
we are ignoring the guys who try to reach the
Emacs community with their issues.
But I suppose they will learn fast enough.

> I have no visibility into the newsgroup side
> of things. Likewise I do not know who to
> contact on the newsgroup side of things if it
> were to get fixed.

I can drop the people at nntp.aioe.org a mail
and ask how it looks from their side.
I actually have no idea whatsoever how they,
and other Usenet providers (?), go about their
business. For example, if they add/remove
groups manually or if there is some
self-learning algorithm that does that...

> If others were interested in the newsgroup
> gateway then they would probably need to file
> a ticket with gnu sysadmin to look into
> the problem.

Which one?

https://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/know.your.sysadmin.html