Re: sendmail-program with msmtpq

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: sendmail-program with msmtpq
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 06:11:53 +0100

Hello Eli,

> Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 05:41:04 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> > Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 23:00:36 +0100
> > From: Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im>
> >
> > My goal with this setup is to queue my outgoing messages when I am not
> > connected.  There is something wrong at some point; when unplugged,
> > msmtpq is doing the right thing: it queues the outgoing message but
> > `sendmail-send-it' would consider it as unsent.
> >
> > Here is the log:
> >
> > [2018-11-10 08:12:02.017] Sending...
> > Added to /home/xavier/.cache/mail/sent
> > sendmail-send-it: Sending...failed to   mail for [ -oi -f
> > xavier@maillard.im -oep -odi -t ] : couldn't be sent - host not connected;
> > enqueued mail as : [ 2018-11-10-08.12.02 ] ( -oi -f xavier@maillard.im -oep
> > -odi -t ) : successful;
> >
> > Due to that behaviour, calling C-x m again is just asking if I want to
> > erase the *mail* buffer instead of creating a new one.
> >
> > What's wrong ?
>
> I suspect that your program exits with non-zero exit status in this
> case, but I cannot be sure because you don't seem to show the entire
> message.

Here is a test from the command line:

# With connection ON
$ cat /tmp/test-mail | ~/bin/msmtpq xavier@maillard.im
  mail for [ xavier@maillard.im ] : send was successful

$ echo $?
0

# With connection OFF
$ cat /tmp/test-mail | ~/bin/msmtpq xavier@maillard.im
  mail for [ xavier@maillard.im ] : couldn't be sent - host not connected
    enqueued mail as : [ 2018-11-12-06.05.45 ] ( xavier@maillard.im ) :
successful

$ echo $?
0

> sendmail-send-it expects a successful sending to exit with zero
> status.

As far as I can see, it should be ok. Does sendmail-send-it expect a message or
something like that ?

Thank you.
--
Xavier