Re: Optimising Elisp code [again]

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Optimising Elisp code [again]
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 20:52:36 +0100

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>
>>> The Elisp interpreter is probably tightly
>>> intertwined with the Emacs editor code.
>>> Disentangling them so you can compile Elisp
>>> to machine code would be a big project, and
>>> probably not worth it.
>>
>> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/log/?h=feature/libjit
>>
>> https://github.com/tromey/el-compilador
>
> Wonderful! But how does one integrate the
> compiled code with the rest of Emacs?

Firstly, I think it's worth clarifying how things work now.  Emacs has
two interpreters.  There's the interactive interpreter, that's what's run
when you type elisp straight into Emacs.  It is used to interpret files
ending in ".el".  Then there's the bytecode interpreter.  To use that
you have to compile a program to bytecode first.  It's the bytecode
interpreter that deals with ".elc" files.  The bytecode interpreter is
much faster than the interactive interpreter.  (I expect you know all
this Emanuel, I'm just writing it here for others who are reading who
might not).

The libjit branch works by compiling bytecode into native code.  As I
understand it, this is done at runtime, so the user doesn't have to do
anything.  I think there was another project that did something similar
at compile time.  Compiling bytecode sounds a bit strange, but it makes
sense.  In many cases what the JIT does is emit the same code that
is inside the bytecode interpreter.  In a very simplified sense, it
works like this....  So, the bytecode interpreter is a big switch/case
statement.  Somewhere there is instruction FOO.  When the JIT compiler
sees FOO it inserts into it's output buffer the code that was in the
bytecoding interpreter to deal with that opcode.  There are some
optimizations beyond that.

I think it's a good idea and I hope it will be merged into mainline
Emacs one day.

BR,
Robert Thorpe