Re: emacsclient and reverseVideo in Xresources

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: emacsclient and reverseVideo in Xresources
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 17:51:34 -0600

Dimitrios Apostolou wrote:
> - "emacs -nw" launches emacs with dark background in the terminal
> - "emacsclient -nw" launches emacsclient in the terminal with WHITE
> background!

Both of those should be terminal clients.  But you are not saying what
terminal emulator you are using, nor how that terminal emulator is
configured.  This makes it difficult help.

If you are doing things normally by running the commands from the
command line in an existing terminal then the colors should not change
from what you have when you launched it.  They don't for me.  For
example if I am at a terminal prompt and use emacsclient in the
following then I get the same colors during the emacs run that I had
running before I invoked emacsclient.  Works for me.

  rwp@angst:~$ emacsclient -nw /tmp

When you say "launches" do you mean that it starts up *another*
terminal window in addition to the one you used to run that command?
That would be really quite bizarre from my perspective.  However I
acknowledge that everyone has a different opinion about such things.

Are you somehow running that command by some way that doesn't use a
terminal, such as a window manager menu pick or something, and that
*it* is launching a terminal emulator with that command running in it?
If so then that is where your problem exists.  For example if you are
using a window manager menu pick and it is doing something like this:

  x-terminal-emulator -e emacsclient -nw

Then that is where you need to focus your efforts to make it open a)
the terminal type you want and b) using the X resources you want it to
use.  You will probably need to set X resources to control the color
of the terminal emulator that you are launching.  Or you will need to
change the terminal emulator to one that you have already configured.

Please say a little more about your environment so that we can help
further.

Bob