Re: Mark set by ?mark-*? not deactivated by point motion

From: Loris Bennett
Subject: Re: Mark set by ?mark-*? not deactivated by point motion
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 10:45:50 +0200

[snip (36 lines)]

> Whether Emacs should be consistent in this regard, I don't know.
> But apparently Emacs presumes that if you use `M-@' to select a
> word (put the active region around it) then you intend cursor
> motion to extend it. And apparently it presumes that if you
> double-click  mouse-1 to select it then you do not intend cursor
> motion to extend it.

With my Emacs 25.1.1 `M-@' select the part of the word from the cursor
to the end of the word.  Moving the cursor left extends the region,
whereas moving it right unselects when over the initially selected
section and extends beyond that.

So if I have

  able baker charlie

and do `M-@' while on 'k',

         ker

is selected.  If I move left to 'a', then

  able baker

is selected.  If instead I move right to the final 'e', then

             charlie

including the space in front of the 'c' is selected.

Is that supposed to happen?  What's the use-case for the moving-right
behaviour?

[snip (11 lines)]

Cheers,

Loris