Re: profiler-report seems to be missing data?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: profiler-report seems to be missing data?
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 17:19:21 +0300

> From: Charlie Andrews <andrews.charlie@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 09:47:30 -0400
>
> (I apologize if this messes up the threading - I saw Eli's response
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2018-08/msg00046.html>
> on lists.gnu.org, but the mail didn't show up in my Gmail inbox. I'm
> replying to it here.)
>
> The version of the package that I'm profiling is unfortunately not byte
> compiled. I did this by running M-x locate-library <enter> find-things-fast
> <enter>, which returned "~/github/find-things-fast/find-things-fast.el".
> This is my local development version of the library, not the ELPA version
> of the library which also includes the byte-compiled version.

In that case, perhaps the bindings done by let* take a lot of time
because these are variables that become local when set, and you have
many buffers in your session?  Do you see any changes in the profile
if you run the code in a fresh session?

Btw, the profile says that quite a lot of time is spent in these
functions:
> >            - ftf-find-file                                           1597
> > 80%
> >             - ftf-project-files-alist                                1522
> > 76%
> >              - ftf-project-files-hash                                1330
> > 66%
> >               - let                                                  1330
> > 66%
> >                - mapcar                                              1330
> > 66%
> >                 - #<lambda 0x5458e8e0>                               1024
> > 51%

So I'd suggest to look at them as well.