Re: BUG in Tramp: After sleep, saving file hangs

From: ken
Subject: Re: BUG in Tramp: After sleep, saving file hangs
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 22:48:29 -0400

On 07/19/2018 05:01 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:
>   • TRAMP does not recognize if a ‘ssh’ session hangs
>
>      ‘ssh’ sessions on the local host hang when the network is down.
>      TRAMP cannot safely detect such hangs.  The network configuration
>      for ‘ssh’ can be configured to kill such hangs with the following
>      command in the ‘~/.ssh/config’:
>
>           Host *
>                ServerAliveInterval 5
>
> Does this work for you?

Michael, thanks for your kind and helpful reply.

The first time after I put that line in my config file, it worked
almost, but not completely.  It hung at:

Opening connection for lunar using scp...done

After about a half minute I did C-g, then did C-x C-s a second time and
it worked.  That's a vast improvement over most previous behavior.

The second time (again, after coming out of sleep mode) going into an
already-opened buffer, making a change and then trying to save to disk
(on the remote machine), it worked flawlessly.

The third time (doing exactly the same as I did the first and second
times), it again worked flawlessly.

So I'm optimistic.  Thanks again.