desktop.el and frame parameters when -nw

From: Jay Kamat
Subject: desktop.el and frame parameters when -nw
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 19:03:44 -0700

Hi!

I'm running into an odd issue, and I'd like to see if anyone else has seen it
before (or knows any way to solve it).

When desktop.el saves/loads a session, it normally saves and loads the 'frame
parameters' (set with `set-frame-parameter' and `frame-parameter'). However,
when starting emacs with -nw (in a terminal, with no gui), these frame
parameters don't seem to be restored.

Steps I took to reproduce:

1. Start emacs -q
2. Eval (set-frame-parameter nil 'test 44)
3. M-x desktop-save to an unused directory.
4. emacs -q -nw
5. M-x desktop-change-dir to the directory from before
6. (frame-parameter nil 'test) returns nil.

However, running steps 4->6 without -nw returns the frame parameter as
expected.

Does this have anything to do with the special ways that frames are handled in
a terminal? If so, what can I do to work around that?

-Jay