Re: Most used words in current buffer

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Most used words in current buffer
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 22:03:43 -0600

Nick Dokos wrote:
> A friend (an avid vim user) was watching over my shoulder while I was
> trying to do something (in emacs of course) and had to edit /etc/fstab
> or something.  I was in an emacs shell at the time, so I did 'sudo ed
> /etc/fstab' and did my edit (and yes, I know and use tramp most of the
> time). The idea of running ed from the shell from within emacs was too
> much for him: he was laughing for hours!

That seems just perfect!  However I must ask if you have used M-x term
in order to get a tty?  You could have really tormented your friend:

  M-x term
  sudo emacs /etc/fstab

Just remember to prefix every keystroke appropriately.  As a hint it
is easy to switch term mode into line mode with C-c C-j and back to
character mode with C-c C-k.

And then you can always do that again without a hard limit on the
number of nestings.  Until you run out of vertical terminal lines!

> And yes, I install ed whenever I set up a new machine: for just those
> occasions :-)

Me too! :-)

Bob