Re: BUG in Tramp: After sleep, saving file hangs

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: BUG in Tramp: After sleep, saving file hangs
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 11:01:52 +0200

ken <gebser@mousecar.com> writes:

Hi Ken,

> emacs: 24.3.1
>
> tramp: 2.2.624.3
>
>> And honestly, I believe this problem will be handled better if you
>> submit it as Emacs bug.
>
> True, probably.  I thought I'd post it here first, see if someone could
> come up with a quick response.

The Tramp manual gives a recommendation for this case:

  • TRAMP does not recognize if a ‘ssh’ session hangs

     ‘ssh’ sessions on the local host hang when the network is down.
     TRAMP cannot safely detect such hangs.  The network configuration
     for ‘ssh’ can be configured to kill such hangs with the following
     command in the ‘~/.ssh/config’:

          Host *
               ServerAliveInterval 5

Does this work for you?

> submitted bug reports: they seem always to be ignored or WONTFIXed or
> combined with some other bug(s) and then somehow lost and never fixed,

Such things happen, yes. But my experience is, that Emacs maintainers
try to be responsive, and ignored or WONTFIXed bugs are the
minority. You can always protest if such things happen; often it is just
an oversight, or misunderstanding.

In particular, did you experience such behaviour with Tramp bugs?

> or, at best, fixed only years later.  ... then if it's fixed, it's fixed
> not in the version(s) everyone's using, but only in the absolutely
> latest version, one which doesn't work down it into the distros for
> another year or more.  So you might say I'm pessimistic about bug reports.

Well, to be honest: If it would need a fix, I doubt that somebody will
fix it for Emacs 24 / Tramp 2.2. The best you could expect is a patch
you could apply yourself.

There are 60 Tramp releases downloadable from ftp.gnu.org, and the
oldest one there is Tramp 2.0.39. Not to count intermediate releases
like Tramp 2.2.6-24.3 you are using. Tramp is almost a one-man-show; do
you believe I'm able to maintain every single release?

Support for Emacs 23 has been stopped some months ago; but the bleeding
edge Tramp 2.4.0 still supports Emacs 24. If I would fix something
there, you would be able to use it, w/o changing your Emacs version.

Best regards, Michael.